American Legion Rieke-Meidl Post 319
Cody, NE - Statistical Overview
Chartered after World War I on March 30, 1926. Auxiliary Post was chartered shortly before, on October 20, 1925.
The current Post building was originally the White Elephant Dance Hall. Members have improved the post building with remodeling of the interior in 2014, most of the cost being paid by the local school after an agreement was made to transform the dance hall into a basketball court for Jr. High students' after school practice programs.
Some accomplishments include:
- Color Guard at High School football games and regional military funerals.
- Partnership with school system to remodel and host new basketball court.
- Annual Steak Supper at the start of hunting season to raise funds for the Post.
- ALA Poppy Sale and annual packing of "diddy bags" for regional vets at the VA during the holidays.
- Yearly sponsoring delegates comprised of high school juniors to Boys and Girls State, a summer leadership training.
Their purpose: "To honor all military veterans of this community and to be of greater service to our community."
Paid membership American Legion Post as of 6/30/2015 - 81
Paid membership of Auxiliary Post as of 6/30/2015 - 91